It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New to The Sinclair Method
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:18 pm 

I have not yet started the sinclair method, but have Naltima on order from All Day Chemist. I am really hoping this helps me kick the binge drinking. This is a problem that has persisted over the past 10 years. It's impacting my personal relationship with my boyfriend, so I am really hoping this, along with therapy will help me once and for all.

I don't even know why I binge drink when I do. I don't have to be overly upset, or depressed at the time of binge drinking for it to happen. I have embarrassed myself so many times from things I've done or said during a drunken episode, so one would think that would be enough for me to get a handle on it. I never have any recollection of the things I've done, which is also frightening. It's shameful to have someone give me the ugly details. It's like they are talking about an entirely different person who did things I would never dream of doing sober. Each time something shameful happens, I tell myself that I won't allow myself to binge drink again. I will be on 'good behavior' for a while, but then a time comes again when I end up binge drinking. I get really depressed during these times, as I don't understand why I can't stop. I feel so much shame for not having the kind of control that I need.

For years I lived alone and could hide much of the binge drinking, but have recently moved in with my boyfriend of 3 years, so he has been the victim of some of my outrageous drunken behaviors and it's starting to take a toll. We recently had a really great day together, did a nice hike around the river to see the autumn colors on the trees. Toward the end of the night he opened a nice bottle of wine. We both enjoy drinking wine, but he is able to control how much he drinks. After he went to sleep for the night, I opened another bottle of wine, thinking I'd just have a bit more to keep up the good spirits I was feeling. Fast forward to the next morning and he's waking me up asking what the hell happened in the kitchen. I couldn't remember anything at all that happened in the kitchen and was terrified of what I'd find. The entire kitchen was a mess. It looked like it had been turned upside down....food everywhere, spills, the refrigerator door was left open. He was just like....why? And I don't know why. :( I have no answers. I feel so ashamed of this and my behavior. I took what was a really good day and ruined it for no reason with my drunkeness. I really want to talk to others who are also going through this for support. It's difficult to find people to talk to who won't just judge me for my behavior. If anyone knows of any other places to share stories or get support, I would appreciate any recommendations.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New to The Sinclair Method
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:08 pm 

Well, you'll fit in just fine here, LifeOnMars! Glad you found us and welcome aboard!

I was a daily drinker myself, 30+ years, over 80 beers per week before I started TSM. There are plenty of bingers here too and also on OptionsSaveLives. You'll probably find plenty of stories to read if you search on "binge", but some others will likely jump in and post here too.

It'll be interesting to get your take on how wine tastes/feels on Naltrexone. I didn't notice much of a difference in how drinking beer felt, but TSM still worked fine for me. Have you thought about working with a TSM doc?

Check this hints and tips thread, especially the part on how to get started (half dose after a meal, lots of water):

http://optionssavelives.freeforums.net/ ... hints-tips

Are you taking any other meds at the moment?

Again, welcome, well met and hope to hear from you soon!

Profile E-mail