It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Starting to miss the buzz and feeling like drinking on Nal..
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:38 pm 

has become a chore. Started TSM at the end of August. Felt really enthusiastic at the results of getting my drinking down to only a few bottles of beer. Now I'm starting to miss the excitement. Is this normal?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Starting to miss the buzz and feeling like drinking on Nal..
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:15 pm 

More than a few have reported that, Robert. It will be some time till the memories and nostalgia about drinking are neutralized. Your brain is reaching out harder for it's "old buddy" and the fact that you're feeling this is a good confirmation that TSM is having an effect. You could be on the edge of a breakthrough here, so stay the course and vengeance will be yours.

OTOH, if you really don't feel like drinking, an AF day or two is in order. Did you read in the book about "Selective Extinction"?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:18 pm 

Robert,
I am in my 4th week of TSM, and I feel exactly the same. So you're not alone my friend. I want to drink, but I don't like taking the pills because they make me feel fuzzy-headed and upset my stomach a bit. When I drink I don't get the buzz I used to. However, I'm going to keep this up. The prospect of becoming "indifferent" to alcohol is a dream for me. Hang in there...our lives will be different (and better) someday.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:51 am 

Thanks for the replies guys. I am feeling much better now and realize how good a thing this is. I am already free of cravings and it feels so good. I would be mad to go back and won't dare do so. Also Joe, could you tell me more about selective extinction. I forget that part. Does that have to do with not drinking and taking nal unless I have the urge to drink. Because that is what I am doing now, I have zero desire to drink for the past week and am going to keep going with it. I was curious about that, if I should just keep drinking even when I don't want to to speed up the process or let it happen more naturally. Also, I used to have to take antabuse or I would be ovetaken with the compulsion to drink but don't need to take it anymore. Haven't taken it in weeks. This Sinclair method is the real deal. Thank God.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:53 am 

Raccoon wrote:
Robert,
I am in my 4th week of TSM, and I feel exactly the same. So you're not alone my friend. I want to drink, but I don't like taking the pills because they make me feel fuzzy-headed and upset my stomach a bit. When I drink I don't get the buzz I used to. However, I'm going to keep this up. The prospect of becoming "indifferent" to alcohol is a dream for me. Hang in there...our lives will be different (and better) someday.

Hi Raccoon, try only taking the tablet after you have eaten a meal. That helped me. I also experienced the fuzzyness in the first week but that went away for me. Good luck man. :)

This is a real special thing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:50 pm 

Robert, that's great news!

Selective Extinction involves waiting approximately 48 hours after your last dose of Naltrexone and engaging in a healthy endorphin-releasing activity. Your opioid receptors will be upregulated during that time and a good workout (or sex, eating spicy foods, getting a good bellylaugh from a great comedy, etc) will be extra rewarding. While the brain is "forgetting" that alcohol = pleasure through drinking on the Naltrexone, it's "remembering" that exercise (for instance) is a real gas by looking for that period where the Nal is out of your system and your opioid receptors are extra sensitive to endorphins (which another reason you never want to drink without the Nal). 48 hours is a general guideline and the "sweet spot" may come sooner or later in your case, so experiment and see what seems to be the optimal timing for you.

If you generally didn't drink every day, it's been suggested that you have 3-4 extinction sessions a week for the first couple of weeks, then go back to your regular drinking routine. You can bear down on the quantity by questioning whether or not you really, really want the next drink at any time during TSM, as you only need one drink per session to advance Pharmacological Extinction of your craving one more notch.

So, it does indeed seem that you were on the edge of a breakthough there. Your brain was really trying to talk you into giving it the nice blast it was used to. Well done, Robert!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:27 pm 

Thanks Joe. Oh yeah, I remember reading that now. I will be starting at the gym soon so that will be covered on my days off Nal. I am now only drinking 2-3 bottles during extinctions and am quite happy to keep at this level. I don't see the point in drinking more since there is no euphoria being released because of the Nal. Robert.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:08 pm 

Excellent plan, Robert!

Profile E-mail