It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Taking the first step
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:49 am 

I plan to begin TSM today, and hope it will be the first step on my journey to sobriety.

I have been a heavy drinker for 20 years now. The past 12 months have been particularly bad. For many years, I would drink a bottle of wine each evening but this has now increased to 35ml of rum. I might have the occasional af day, but not many. My life has reduced to little more than work and alcohol. I no longer go running, and spend my weekends drinking rather than walking in the mountains. As I write this, I realise how sad and wasteful that is.

I watched One Little Pill and this has given me hope. I have never subscribed to the view that quitting alcohol is simply a matter of will-power. The will-power I have shown to acquire alcohol over the years has been heroic! I hope that the medication will quietly and slowly do its work and lead me back to a more fulfilling life.

I will update my progress here in the hope that it might help others in the future. Perhaps at least some good may come from my tawdry tale.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Taking the first step
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:45 am 

How exciting it is to finally get rid of this of this false friend dragging you down. You are the perfect candidate for TSM and it will work great for you. Enjoy your rum and wine as the Naltrexone does it's magic. Better days are ahead.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:34 am 

Many thanks for the encouragement Nomore. I feel a certain anxiety because I'm investing so much hope in this being part of the solution. I want my normal life back!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:06 am 

I think you'll find that TSM will serve you well, Lamb.

Your brain will discard it's "favorite toy" when it finds that it doesn't work anymore and you'll just naturally tend to get back to the activities that you once enjoyed, because your brain remembers that you did have fun with those at one time.

Please do report in when you can spare the time. It helps, especially in the beginning.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:03 pm 

Hi Lamb

I can see in my crystal ball you running again and walking in the mountains. TSM makes sense.

How did your first day go? Keep us posted!

MD

Month 2 17.5 units 2.75 AF
Month 3 18 units 3.25 AF
Month 4 15 units 2 AF
Month 5 13 units 4.25 AF
Week 21 17 units 2 AFD
Week 22 9 units 5 AFD
Week 23 13.5 units 2 AFD

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:04 am 

Welcome Lamb,

I do hope your first day/night went well.

That anxiety that you are feeling will go away with time. I truly believe that TSM works for most people that are compliant, so as long as you follow that Golden Rule (take your pill, wait that hour and drink) you will be right as rain.

I was very doubtful when I first started and then someone pointed out that if you have heavy drinkers/alcoholics in your family TSM is a slam dunk. I am a very lucky one, for I have alcoholism on both sides of my family going very far back in my family tree...well if you want to call it luck. Even if you are unsure about alcohol problems in your family it could be there and you not realize it. For my great grandfather never drank, so he never had an issue, but his father owned a saloon and died of Cirrhosis.

I think posting your experiences will be very helpful for you and those that are lurking, for we will be able to encourage you and those lurking will realize that TSM does work. It may take longer than you want, but as long as you are compliant at following that golden rule it will happen.

Keep posting,

Jaba

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:59 am 

Welcome Lamb24 - I too had a whole slew of alcoholics on both sides of my family - but the nal has worked for me in such a truly miraculous way! You do have to have faith and patience (that used to be my Mantra here). I am really happy to hear that you are starting it - have you read the book? there is a PDF that I can PM you if you want - or someone will post it here, but it is a good idea to read it even if you have seen the film.

Please come and ask any questions should you have them and do post - it is good for everyone! Also - if you are not tracking your intake it is good to start that too - that way you can see that you are improving even if it might not feel like it at times!

Hugs, Maggie

Month 12: 4 drinks TOTAL (Dec '15)
13: 2 drinks (nearly) for Jan '16 !!!
None since Jan '16 I feel that I can safely say that I am cured!

Profile E-mail