It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Saying Hello to Everyone
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:23 am 

Good Morning,
Just want to introduce myself and say hi to everyone on the site and wish everyone best of luck. I may know some of you as I was on a different message board for quite some time but stopped when I really seemed to be getting nowhere. I did not follow the NAL thread on that site and for some reason really knew nothing about the drug until one of my very best friends was successful after a year of using the program, oh how I wish I had done it with her but I'm doing it now so hoping for my own success as alcohol is really destroying my life now.

My only difficulty with the NAL is that if I take it early in the morning as I know I will start drinking then it literally makes me feel like a zombie hardly able to smile or interact with people. I am now making a big push to try to start drinking later in the day in order to not have that awful feeling all day. My drinking started earlier in the day due to being out of work for the last year and not being able to distract myself during the day, workinga job kept me from starting so early.

Has anyone had this problem, does it go away, how did you handle it?

Ok hugs to everyone and good luck, talk soon,
Maxi

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Saying Hello to Everyone
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:17 pm 

Welcome, Maxi! Thanks for coming to hang with us, I think you'll find a lot of support here, along with info that will help you get "the beast" under your thumb. Good to hear your friend had such great results with TSM and I'm thankful it inspired you to come here!

I didn't get the zombie effect myself, but I've seen others post about it. No doubt one of them will be along to let you know how they worked around it.

How long have you been taking Nal, btw? Did a doc prescribe it? You might want to try having a meal before taking the pill, along with a full glass of water. That can sometimes ease the side effects.

Again, welcome and thanks for sharing your journey with us!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:31 pm 

Thank you so much for your reply it's wonderful to know that support is out there. I started the NAL about the middle of February so not too long yet. I will remember to eat something before taking it and up till now I usually have taken it on an empty stomach because of taking it early as I'm not a breakfast person and yes to drink the water too, thank you great tips:).

I haven't had time to post until today and almost stopped the NAL because of the zombie effect but just hearing from you gives me a new resolve.

I will also make more of an effort to be here and give and receive help from you good people.
Hugs

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:09 pm 

Thanks, Maxi! Let us know how that works.

You might also try cutting the Nal in half, sometimes people need some time at a lower dose to get over the side effects. Once they've faded, you can try bumping up to 50mg, or even take it slower and try 37.5. What you do want to avoid (entirely) is drinking off the Nal. So if cutting out the morning drinking is too much, then go with a lower dose, and stick with your regular drinking pattern, for sure.

The other thing you have to adhere to is "The Golden Rule" - always take the Nal an hour before you drink, without fail. If you wash the pill down with your first drink, the method will fail. Keep a few pills in your purse and your car, so you don't get stuck without them when you have an unplanned drink. Same rule applies, take the Nal and wait an hour. If you drink without the Nal, then you're running in reverse and your brain is re-learning that alcohol = reward. TSM is about your brain forgetting that connection. Even if you feel the effects of the drink, the Nal is STILL making your brain forget that the way to answer the craving is to grab the booze. You don't necessarily even feel that process happening, but it is happening. If you drink with out the Nal protecting you, you go backwards at double-speed. Stay protected, keep that "disconnect" happening. The Beast is strong, but it's really quite stupid and will fall for your trap every time.

Are you taking any other meds aside from the Nal?

BTW, if you don't have a copy of The Cure for Alcoholism by Dr. Eskapa, let us know and someone will get you a free PDF copy. If you'd rather have a paper copy, I think it's $13 on Amazon.

Look forward to hearing from you soon!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:50 pm 

Welcome Maxi,

I have not been to the other website, but I am always happy to see a new member on this forum.

There are a great bunch of people here to help you along. We may have difference of opinion about a lot of things except that golden rule; however, taking it first thing in the morning is always better than not taking it at all, and later down the road you will be able to get to that point of taking it and waiting that hour (trust me).

Zombie gal will disappear with time as well. I do experience that zombie gal, but it is usually after I have had a couple of drinks. My kids tell me I zone out and stop listening to what is being said or whats on the TV; I was just glad because it stopped that evil twin from coming out and causing an uproar (pre-TSM). I think it took a good 2 months before the nal stopped me from being tired and feeling like a zombie, but everyone is different and will have a different experience. Since you have been on the nal for almost a month, and that zombie feeling is the only side effect, it might be better it continue on the 50 mgs. This is just a thought, but play it by ear. If lowering the dose helps and zombie gal disappears, keep it at a lower dose for a couple of days and go back up to see how you feel. Some people do just fine on a lower dose, but why take that risk especially since you are drinking earlier in the day. I promise you that zombie feeling will go away, but it takes time on the nal and your body/brain getting used to it (this is only a suggestion, and you need to find what works for you).

Anyways, welcome and I hope to hear about your progress soon,

Jaba

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:40 am 

Maxi! SO good to see you here - and I am so pleased that you have started on this journey with us. I agree with Jaba - the Zombie effect will eventually go - although I did get a downer feeling later in the journey - and would have an AF day or two to not take the Nal and so give my body a rest but it is way too early for you to even think about that yet. As Jaba said, just hang in there - it will go away eventually and the end result is SO worth it! My life has changed since I was cured and although it took me way longer than the book says, my mantra here was always 'to have faith and patience' and it does eventually work!

Please keep posting - it helped me so much and also helps others. You will get there, of that I have no doubt - just remember the Golden Rule!

HUGS, Maggie xx

Month 12: 4 drinks TOTAL (Dec '15)
13: 2 drinks (nearly) for Jan '16 !!!
None since Jan '16 I feel that I can safely say that I am cured!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:41 pm 

I did not get a zombie effect but d0 have less enthusiasm than I did before. But it is a lot better than being hungover everyday or wondering what the hell I did the night before. Not to mention that I am pushing into my mid 50's and the only thing that is still youthful is my imagination!

Lots of people have described it as a temporary side effect and everyone is different so only time will tell. In the meantime every drink you don't take is helpful to your mind and soul!

1/118/1
2/81/7
3/55/6
4/37/14
5/44/5
6/24/8
7/40/12
8/19/13af
9/27/13af
10/34/8
Month 11 - did not count
Month 12 counted last week -34/3af

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:04 pm 

Hi Maxi;
Your friend is also one of my best friends. We met here and she was a great inspiration to me. We all seem to be affected differently and have different side effects. I personally agree with starting at a lower dose. Do you tend to drink for extended periods? Perhaps a 1/2 dose with a booster later.
Best of luck, Steve.

On LDN (4mg Nal)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:04 am 

welcome Maxi! good luck to you with TSM and I'm glad you're on here for support.

I agree with the others that the zombie effect may fade with a little time. my first month I experienced it a little, but it seems to clear soon after that. read the book if you haven't and post when you need to. we're here for you!

zontar

months 7-12: avg 13/2 AF/wk
months 13-18: avg 11/3 AF/wk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:32 am 

Hi Maxi!

Yes I had the same problem of starting earlier in the day when I used to work Monday, Tuesday, and a half day Wednesday (1/2 time employee). The rest of the week I would work on my farm alone over a period of several years ended up drinking more and earlier than I should have.

I tried to fix the problem by going full time, which helped, but it wasn't until I started TSM that I started to gain better control.

Are you job hunting? Is that an option?

All the best!

Profile E-mail