It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: :)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:33 am 

3 monthish update:

I drink now only with I'm with people and they're drinking. I never know what to order now because nothing appeals. The though of my old favorite a glass of dirty Cab Savs- repulses me. All drinks repulse me actually but those with higher alcohol taste especially- strong beer, wine, spirits ( I now opt for those 'girly drinks' I used to despise).
Haven't had a blackout since my night on Nal.
Now i dont even get drunk.
Half of the drinks I order now are left half-drunken. A girl on Thursday ended up drinking half my beer because I was 'too slow'. 4 months ago with that girl, I would have gotten drunk, made a dork of myself, blacked out, and maybe would have had to leave the club both of us belonged to. She texted me at 3am the on Saturday night (perhaps after having a few?). Nice to be on the receiving end for a change.
Quit my volunteer job which involved alcohol because drinking has no appeals.
Stopped going for work drinks because drink no longer appeals.
If there was a bar in my room- it would get left untouched.
Its only 3 months so I know i'm not out of the woods- I say that but I don't believe it.
I'll keep following the 'golden rule' till the day I die- looks like that bit in between just got a whole lot brighter.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:05 am 

That's phenomenal, nzspeak, you really turned it around! Congratulations!

I'm so glad you came across TSM and that it's been working so well for you. Even if you aren't "out of the woods" you certainly aren't running in circles anymore, and it sounds like that's made a huge difference in your life!

So, what did you find to fill the "drinking time" with?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:12 pm 

I have lots of alcohol in the house, it doesn't appeal, I drink out of habit, but I'm finding that I no longer enjoy the taste of wine or beer, so last week I bought a bottle of Gin as I used to enjoy a G&T, I had one glass and couldn't face anymore yesterday I discovered a beautiful drink Appeltizer with Pommegrannette, no alcohol LOL. This TSM has been one of the best of my life, I'm not out of the woods yet either, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Joesixpack & Jaba are wonderful contributors. Thanks guys/gals! Life is so much better.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:37 am 

Nzspeak - SO happy to read your post - I love when people here keep posting with such good news - it is amazing how quickly the Nal worked for you and I love seeing you say that you know you are not out of the woods- but that you don't believe it. Things are going SO well for you - lovely! BTW - I was wondering re your 'volunteer job' - has anyone asked how and why you have changed or are they different folk that you deal with?

Boo - like Nzspeak, it sounds as if you too are well on the road - it amazes me how Al can change for us - from something we cannot live without, to something that we can more or less take or leave. Please keep posting and continue to let us know how you are doing ..... it is so uplifting to read of success when it takes so long for many of us.....

Hugs, Maggie

Month 12: 4 drinks TOTAL (Dec '15)
13: 2 drinks (nearly) for Jan '16 !!!
None since Jan '16 I feel that I can safely say that I am cured!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:24 pm 

"I was wondering re your 'volunteer job' - has anyone asked how and why you have changed or are they different folk that you deal with?" my volunteer job involved taking out new people into my city, through a hostel association so essentially I was dealing with strangers every time. I'm new to the city I live in- Vancouver so no one has noticed my change in life-style except one person. Obviously its a lot easier not having old drinking buddies around.

Filling in time? well, Im a member of toastmasters now, I've started bridge lessons, and now my love life can finally develop because I don't ruin all my social interactions by being wasted. I have no idea what I'll be doing in a years time though. I've stopped thinking about the future as much because without alcohols influence- I have faith life will get a lot better so I just let life unfold as it will.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:14 am 

:D :D :D

Hugs, Maggie x

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:11 am 

That's great, nzspeak! All very positive developments and it seems you're making good use of the free time that boozing used to consume. Looking forward to your next check-in!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:48 pm 

On April the 10th I posted this on this thread "Half of the drinks I order now are left half-drunken. A girl on Thursday ended up drinking half my beer because I was 'too slow'. 4 months ago with that girl, I would have gotten drunk, made a dork of myself, blacked out, and maybe would have had to leave the club both of us belonged to. She texted me at 3am the on Saturday night (perhaps after having a few?). Nice to be on the receiving end for a change".

Well, sobered up NZspeak ended up making the girl above his girlfriend (wouldn't happened pre-Nal that's for sure). Trouble with Nal for me is that it removes my sex drive, leaving me basically impotent (this affect is not just on the day I take it). Even though I no longer had any desire to drink, I knew my drinking would come back without Nal but I made the decision to stop taking Nal to cure my drive with this new girl.

Surprise, surprise I'm back to the point where I'd always knew I'd be- drinking up a storm, and worst of all- constantly thinking about the next drink. Got back from holiday on the weekend and took my first Nal in months on Monday night even though I'm still with this girl. Had two beers and a wine with a friend and to be honest I would've been happy to stop at one if they'd been keen (Nal always helped me out pretty quick). Made the mistake of hooking up with my missis when I got home. Haven't had any desire for sexual relations since Monday which is unlike me, yet typical when Nal is in my body. I have had a stomach bug since Tuesday which his curtailed my drinking and possibly my sex drive too but who knows.

What ever is the case- side affects can never be worse than the side affects from drinking so really looking forward to being back on Nal- feeling like a drink most minutes of the day is excruciatingly painful. Some months ago I read all the posts on here about Nal and sex drive seems to affect some but not most. Doesn't seem like there's a cure but who knows- may go away in time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:27 pm 

Thanks for reporting back, NZ!

Well, as you've already been off Nal for a spell, perhaps you could try a reduced dose on some days? Maybe try some Maca, which turned me into a real horndog.

Both? Something else?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:59 am 

Nzspeak - so sorry about your SE's on the nal - that must be difficult for you and I understand why you stopped the nal. What a dilemma for you. I hope that you manage to sort something out......

Hugs, Maggie

Profile E-mail