It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: :)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:36 pm 

I started taking Nal about 6 weeks ago.

I first started drinking every weekend when I was about 13. Pretty much drunk between 2-7 times per week since than. I'm now 35. I first went to AA about 23. I've never ever been able to stop once I had a drink (not once) and would always drink to blackout state where I would get in a lot of troubles. Often feel like a drink in the morning but seldom follow through. Started taking antabuse about 8 years ago and found it helpful- sometimes would go a few weeks without drinking. I would often drink when my antabuse levels receded just enough there-by poisoning myself. I would essentially binge for a while (everyday for a couple of weeks then go on antabuse for a couple of weeks). I would often day dream about getting a terminal illness so I could just drink everyday without affecting my job, life, etc.

I have a family history of alcoholism and I had an extreme sweet tooth before my alcohol days.

First day on Nal, day drunk, and had a blackout. Drunk slower than normal, didn't get quite the same euphoria, and it killed my appetite. Had massive hungover on the morning, vomited multiple times, didn't eat the whole day.

I can happily say I haven't had a blackout since which is a god send. I find Nal does still kill my appetite, even the next day (no matter how little I drink)

I never pissed around taking half or quarter doses. Nal makes me feel a bit different so what? better than waking up in a police cell.

Anyway, since my initial time, I've tried to drink as normal but I drink slowly and sometimes stop drinking completely mid-flight. The thought of a big dirty Can Sav no longer puts a smile on my face. I've tried to drink hard spirits (i banned myself drinking this in my pre-nal days) to get the kick but with little affect. I still get drunk, tipsy, what ever just without the euphoria. I stopped drinking during the week about 3 weeks ago. On Friday I quit my 'volunteer job' leading a pub crawl because the though of going to a dive-bar and drinking semi-repulses me. I haven't drunk at all this weekend because I haven't feel like it (quite the opposite in fact) this hasn't happened since I was 13 without 'white-knuckling' or antabuse.

I have to leave the country (canada) to get NAL so I perhaps drink less too because I don't want my supply to run out.

Some things that have surprised my on my journey so far:

* Having to take a pill an hour before drinking is actually logistically challenging
* i thought quick responders were experiencing the placebo affect but my drinking seems to be heading downwards which would be the opposite of the placebo affect. Placebo should drop suddenly initially then start climbing back up.
* Nal pills taste TERRIBLE. I took one once with water but it started dissolving in my mouth before I could swallow it. YUCK!
* I never understood why people on this board didn't talk about having to drink 30 cups of coffee etc now they don't drink. In the past when i stopped drinking 'white knuckling' or with antabuse I would literally lick paint hoping to get some sort, any sort, of buzz/relief (usually this involved smoking or coffee (both things I wouldn't do while not trying to abstain). Anyway, I haven't had a compulsion to try other means of getting buzzed (aside from sugar) which is a awesome relief as well.

I've spent my whole adult life battling trying to get sober and dealing with the side-affects of being a horrible waster- now there is a big hole? I hear other people in life complain about not having enough time in the day. I've got too much now! interesting times!

Thanks to all the people who inspired my to try Nal by writing your posts. I think everyone who experienced problems with alcohol knows just what a utterly miserable, torturous existence it is- therefore there is a lot of compassion around this board and for that I'm very grateful.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: :)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:53 pm 

Wow, congratulations nzspeak, you've gotten some pretty stellar results there!

In thread after thread, getting rid of the blackouts is one of the things that bingers most love about TSM and I'm so glad that you've gotten rid of them too, just that alone has to feel great! On top of it, you seem to be moving towards indifference about alch very quickly. Wow, wow, WOW!

If your progress froze here, would you be happy with that or are you aiming for abstinence?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:38 am 

nzspeak wrote:
* Nal pills taste TERRIBLE. I took one once with water but it started dissolving in my mouth before I could swallow it. YUCK!

Oh boy does it! :mrgreen: I keep my NAL in an empty Altoids case, and I grabbed one thinking it was an Altoid I almost wretched!

Week 1 : 23.5 / 3 AF
Week 2 : 22 / 3 AF
Week 3 : 20 / 3 AF
Week 4 : 29 / 0 AF

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:28 am 

nzspeak,

I am so happy for you and your progress does look amazing!
nzspeak wrote:
I never pissed around taking half or quarter doses. Nal makes me feel a bit different so what? better than waking up in a police cell.
This made me giggle, and it is so true!

nzspeak wrote:
I stopped drinking during the week about 3 weeks ago. On Friday I quit my 'volunteer job' leading a pub crawl because the though of going to a dive-bar and drinking semi-repulses me. I haven't drunk at all this weekend because I haven't feel like it (quite the opposite in fact) this hasn't happened since I was 13 without 'white-knuckling' or antabuse.
This is truly amazing, and I would have to say you are a fast responder. TSM in action aways surprises me, and I do not know why, for I understand the science behind it...it is still amazing!

nzspeak wrote:
* Having to take a pill an hour before drinking is actually logistically challenging
I hope I am misinterpreting this, but do you mean it is difficult to take the pill an hour before hand? Why?

nzspeak wrote:
I've spent my whole adult life battling trying to get sober and dealing with the side-affects of being a horrible waster- now there is a big hole? I hear other people in life complain about not having enough time in the day. I've got too much now! interesting times!
Now it is time to do the things you always put off doing because drinking was more important (and doing them would be dangerous when drunk). I have a lot of things I wish I would have done, but now that my old body is breaking down would be hard for me. You are young, write a list...a bucket list, of all things you would like to do and start doing them! Live your life to the fullest! Replacing your addiction with a healthy addiction isn't a bad thing (i.e. biking, motor biking, running, golf etc) anything to fill that void.

Thanks for keeping us updated, and let us know how things are going for you in the future (remember to reorder that nal before you get to low),

Jaba

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:32 am 

NDF wrote:
nzspeak wrote:

Oh boy does it! :mrgreen: I keep my NAL in an empty Altoids case, and I grabbed one thinking it was an Altoid I almost wretched!

It always surprises me when I hear people chewing them to help the nal break down faster...YUCK!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:23 am 

"If your progress froze here, would you be happy with that or are you aiming for abstinence?"
To be honest I hadn't thought about it. I'm shy and I struggle to sit still for a long time so not sure how I would make through compulsory social situations without a drink but who knows? All my friends back in New Zealand are huge drinkers but in Canada I don't know too many people- so I'm not sure how my social life will affect my drinking.

"Having to take a pill an hour before drinking is actually logistically challenging"
I find it hard because a lot of my drinking was spur of the moment. Walk past a pub, the deck looks nice and sunny - just pop in for one... but I can't because I've got to wait an hour.

"It always surprises me when I hear people chewing them to help the nal break down faster...YUCK!"
Maybe everyone should do this once! I think I'm less likely to drink because I'm scared the NAl is going to dissolve in my mouth again- words can't describe how bad it tastes.

Thanks for the kinds words and advice everyone(especially you Jaba!!)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:38 am 

" I think I'm less likely to drink because I'm scared the NAl is going to dissolve in my mouth again- words can't describe how bad it tastes."

Yeah, but then you get that sweet Naltrexone rush!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:25 am 

nzspeak,

I am just glad I was here to help you, and by me helping you I helped myself.

If you ever find that taking that pill becomes an issue (drinking without it), take that pill as soon as you get out of bed (better to be covered than to drink without it) and take another pill or 1/2 pill if it has been longer than 10 hours if you do decide to drink. I doubt it would be an issue for you, but I just wanted to put it out there.

I am so happy about your progress, for I have been worried about you. It is a great relief to know how one little pill can change your life!

Nal on,

Jaba
"All my friends back in New Zealand are huge drinkers but in Canada I don't know too many people- so I'm not sure how my social life will affect my drinking."
This is just an afterthought, but try to join a club or volunteer in a non-alcohol environment. I believe the more you practice socializing without alcohol the easier it will get, or maybe see if there is a class to take at a university/high school (like cooking, dancing), sometimes there are classes like that and they are not that expensive and would be a fun way to spend your time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:35 am 

I've found taking the pill OVER an hour before has been effective for me. I didn't want to try to time out so closely to the time I started drinking, so I took a Nal when I was thinking of it and went from there. it's quite possible I'm losing some of the effect, but it's still effective for me....

months 7-12: avg 13/2 AF/wk
months 13-18: avg 11/3 AF/wk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:31 am 

Zontar, as I understand it, Nal will cover you for 12 hours (the part of Nal we care about, anyway).

Profile E-mail