It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: Tamara_M's Experience
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:09 pm 

Thank you Jaba. :P Tonight I've made it a point to set up and not do anything but watch TV, and surf the Internet. I don't have a headache. A little pain in neck and shoulders, so I think you are right.

Thank you

wk 15 11/0AF

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:03 am 

Tamara,

It sounds like you need a massage, or a visit to a chiropractor. If your shoulders and neck are stiff it would be very helpful and that way those headaches won't come back.

Besides, being nice to yourself and getting a massage is something that we all should do!

Jaba

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:53 pm 

I took Noah to his first Childrens Grief Art group tonight, so I didn't drink all day. It's almost 9:00pm now, so I'm going to have my 1st alcohol day in months. I was just reading a post about changing your routine. I'd normally just forget the nal and drink, because I wouldn't want to wait, but I'm just not going to do it. It really helps coming in here and reading the posts.

Also I took some Alive, and it's made my back feel better. I'll keep that up for a few days and see if that helps.

Thanks all.

wk 15 11/0AF

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:42 am 

Rest well and sweet dreams!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:47 am 

Tamara,

I had to change my routine to get out of that habit of taking the nal and drinking, and that habit of buying the alcohol is something I had to change as well. Anything to get through the day....I called them mind games...trick your mind to forget about that drink.

I am glad the Aleve is helping with your back.

I hope Noah is doing well.

Jaba

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:11 am 

Tamara - I did find that changing my routine and habits did help - good for you having the AF day - that is a really good step in the right direction. I found that in the beginning I needed to force AF days after about 3-4 months I then decided that it was time to force them - even with the help of Antabuse. PLEASE always wait the full hour - you are doing yourself an injustice by not waiting and basically taking a step backwards as it just reinforces that brain pathway that you are trying to extinguish!

HUGS, Maggie x

Month 12: 4 drinks TOTAL (Dec '15)
13: 2 drinks (nearly) for Jan '16 !!!
None since Jan '16 I feel that I can safely say that I am cured!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:54 pm 

Tamara_M wrote:
Thank you everyone for your support. It really does help me.

A little note here about my progress.

I notice if I drink beer, I don't drink as much. Also, when I go to hard liquor, I don't measure, so I have a big drink, and I'm feeling it. I'm going to buy a jigger to measure. I'm probably making 3 drinks into one. I'm drinking more than I think I am. So the measuring I can see the advantage and the counting of drinks.

Still hopeful, and not giving up.

Tamara

Hi Tamara,
So sorry to hear about your daughter. I had an ex-boyfriend (that was an alcoholic) commit suicide and I know the feelings of guilt and helplessness for those left behind. That was the only time I actually got sober at AA for 4 months because I was drinking to cover the pain—of losing someone to drinking. Insanity.

I too notice if I drink beer (or at least add it in to the drinking time) I don't drink as much. I also buy some NA beer and mix it with my coronas. Add a lime and their is NO difference ;) and you stretch out the time you have a drink in your hand with half the AL intake.

I usually drink the first shot straight...you know for that instant gratification...and then definitely mix the next drink(s) and nurse them. I think a lot of it, for me, is just the psychological thing of having the drink in your hand until you are ready for bed. It's funny (well not really) how that little bit of panic sets in when you are coming to the last sip. If you can make the session last and cut down the intake with mixed drinks and half and half beer, it's almost the same psychological effect (at least for me) as drinking the same number of straight shots. And you don't feel like crap the next day. And I can tell you from my current experience (recent divorce and I'm now living with my mom who has dementia) that waking up with a hangover basically cancels out any relief that drinking gave you the night before. The AL has literally depressed your brain function and the anxiety combined with it...well, it drives you deeper into despair.

You are right it is VERY important to measure. My mixed drinks were probably always at least double a measured shot. I buy the little shots each day so that is all I get—unless I go back out to the liquor store which is more of a deterrent. It sure felt good the first time I found I had left one shot undrunk the next day. :) What??!!

Keep it up. I am only in my 3rd month and what everyone says is that it has taken a lifetime to build these super strong neural pathways in your brain so it stand to reason it takes time (maybe a year) to "un-do" them. It's just the time it takes for the pht=ysical change to occur.

Hugs,
Derien

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:26 pm 

I broke my ankle Jan. 22, 2016, while on naltrexone. It had to be set with no pain killers. That hurt. I've been taking pain medication until yesterday, and starting back on the naltrexone today. My husbands been allowing me 1, 2 at the max of wine in the evenings so I can't over drink now. I can't walk, and am using a knee scooter, so I can't go buy it, climb searching, so thats the way it is, and it's better this way. I was way out of control even with the naltrexone. This is setting a reset for me. Hoping to have better results this time and will follow the golden rule. Take naltrexone 1 hour before drinking.

Hope all is well, and doing great with your sinclair Method. Sounds very effective for most.

Thank you,

Tamara

wk 15 11/0AF

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:34 pm 

I had 2 glasses of wine, and don't care for anymore. Drinking with naltrexone makes me perspire like it's 105 degrees outside. Very uncomfortable. I noticed it before, but after quitting and restarting, it makes me perspire.

wk 15 11/0AF

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:03 am 

Hey Tamara! Glad to see you back. So sorry about the ankle, I'll bet that was hellish without painkillers. I broke my knee when I was young, just taking the x-rays sent me through the roof. They put me out to set it, luckily I escaped traction.

Maybe look into MSM, it's analgesic and reduces inflammation, but of course you would have to balance that against any other meds you're taking. As I recall, it tends to play well with other meds. A friend of mine uses it for arthritis, just the bulk MSM crystals and really likes it. It's a sulfur compound, if you've ever heard of DMSO, about 15% of that turns into MSM when you apply it. They're only one oxygen molecule apart. Just not too much too soon, or it can give you the runs.

Oh, my friend, I hope you're feeling better soon! Come hang out with us more often while you have some slack time!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11