It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New Here, From Canada
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:18 pm 

Hello All,

I am brand new to the forum, and have just discovered the Sinclair Method. I have ordered the books, and am now in the process of trying to obtain naltrexone in Canada (my GP just refused), and I am finding that this is difficult. I may have a line on some, however... I will post the results.

My alcohol use has been increasing over the past 8 or 10 years. 10 years ago, I could "take it or leave it"... now - I crave it and can't stop once I start. I can use my willpower to abstain for a few days, but...

This is compounded by the problem that my husband is a high functioning alcoholic, who likes having me as his "lil' drinking buddy". This means that he will buy it for me even when I beg him not to, offer to "get me a glass", etc.

This is more than my willpower can deal with. I am feeling very hopeful.

Question... I have been reading through some of the forums and see that some have said that "you don't want NAL showing up on your health records". Maybe my GP refusing was a blessing?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New Here, From Canada
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:06 pm 

Hi ZuckerRat and welcome to TheSinclairMethod!

Yes, it seems that when you use insurance, info like that gets through the health system. Some professions won't allow those that have been on such meds and life insurance rates can be higher as well.

The only way to avoid that is to use a private physician and pay cash for your prescription, or to order from overseas. I don't know of any overseas pharmacies that will ship to Canada, but All Day Chemist will ship to a US address if you can send it to a friend or a US PO box. River Pharmacy (based in Canada) will ship to a Canadian address, but you have to finish the order over the phone. Neither requires a prescription.

Otherwise, there are Canadian TSM docs on the "Find a Physician" list, under International Verified and Telemedicine Providers:

http://www.cthreefoundation.org/find-a-physician.html

In any case, unless you can ship to a US address, Naltrexone is rather expensive in Canada ($6-10 per pill) with a prescription and no insurance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm 

Perfect! It is RiverPharm that I am in touch with.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:03 pm 

Cool. Shipments get kind of bound up December through Feburary, so as soon as you determine that the Naltrexone is a good fit for you (usually within a couple of weeks), order accordingly. Deliveries can take over a month at those times. Naltima is the preferred brand, NoDict seems to have a tougher coating and you have to wait 90 minutes instead of a hour.

Keep us up on how it's going, also check out the community at http://optionssavelives.freeforums.net/.

Profile E-mail