It is currently Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: discussion of Nalmefene on BBC Radio4 (UK)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:32 pm 

thanks to UKB for bringing this to my attention:

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/rad ... -2130a.mp3

the first 10mins or so is discussion of Nalmefene becoming available on the UK NHS, on a BBC Radio4 medical program

there has been a little discussion on MWO, but their Meds section seems to be imploding with infighting at the moment

somewhat predictably, it rather misses the point - can't be prescribed without counselling (not that counselling is available on the NHS in many places), AL is a social problem, minimum AL pricing, etc.

I really don't hold out much hope of UK GP's prescribing it in any quantity. in any case, they aren't able to prescribe it to anyone drinking more than (for men) 56 UK/32 US units per week, & about 2/3rds of that for women

all rather depressing really :(

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: discussion of Nalmefene on BBC Radio4 (UK)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:21 am 

Thanks for posting that Badger. Quite a depressing listen really. The doctors interviewed have already made up their minds that Nalfemene is a waste of money - one quotes that the drug has no benefits over a placebo! Well that makes me feel better having just forked out another £200 on buying it!

I wonder where they get their facts and figures from as they seem to contradict all of the evidence of TSM here?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:09 am 

Snapdragon wrote:
I wonder where they get their facts and figures from as they seem to contradict all of the evidence of TSM here?

I suspect from the (rather impenetrable) NICE guidelines:

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ta325/ ... submission

to be fair, there is a difference between being prescribed & taking Nal, & doing TSM. I doubt the perils of missing a pill or requirement to the the pill an hour before drinking are stressed. for example:

http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/nalme ... s-selincro

"The tablet is best taken 1-2 hours before you drink alcohol, but if you are not able to do this, take it as soon as you can."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:41 am 

That's sad news..........

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:22 pm 

My reaction to the programme was pretty much as Badger posts. I was saddened and dismayed.

They really haven't got it.

My weekly intake was above those guidelines and yet it worked beautifully for me, and it saved my life.

I was also dismayed because I'd had lots of psychosocial interventions prior to TSM, 8 years of it yet I could never get the alcohol issue kicked. Only TSM did that for me.

They never mentioned private provision, there is a whole host of provision for people out there, and many UK residents think they need a Drs referral to access their own support or therapy. This is just not true and I wish it would be explained that you can seek out your own support, sometimes there is a cost - but no more than a couple of day's worth of drinking each week, sometimes there is free provision via charities and organisations.

The NHS IAPT scheme refers anyone with alcohol problems elsewhere, it is only for diagnoses of anxiety and depression.

The effect of TSM/Naltrexone and hence Selincro is profound, yet they won't recognise this and lump it in with antabuse and campral. These two medications do help some people, but they don't attack the deep root which many people require. I also don't believe Drs prescribing actually understand how TSM works.

I have a feeling they'll continue to under prescribe.

Cravings eliminated Sept 2011
Now fully in control, alcohol no longer bothers me. Chose to go AF from 22nd July 2013.
TSM set me free

Profile E-mail