It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: selincro and spirits update ...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:39 am 

Hello all , I haven't posted or been on the forum since Jan this year . I ve two things to update on and wonder if anyone else has had similar experience ?

1. My taste for wine has gone . Just melted away . I, m delighted . I stopped taking Selincro about November . I think I was becoming concerned about what the stuff could be doing to my brain chemistry .
I was scared that I would recover interest in wine after stopping but this has not been the case . I switched to a low carb ketogenic diet pre christmas as well so whehter this has been part of the picture or not I m not sure

I tend to restrict weight gain , had anorexia in my teens , bulimia later and have done pretty well over the years with the eating disorder . I do notice that the reliance on alcohol to deal with stress or food restriction became a factor and perhaps increasing fat content v carb content has helped me and altered my appetite . certainly my mood and starch cravings have greatly reduced since November and my sleep has inproved , I now sleep through most nights and wake rested .
I exercise most mornings , 5 miles easy jogging and swim once aweek . this helps mood and sleep and stress managment

I think now , after years and years of wondeing what happened to me in my early teens that the eating disorder may well have been a carb 'addiction ' , not disregarding all the background family , social and hormonal influences that led t the 12 yr old pubertal me suddenly going mad eating whole loaves of white pan bread and feeling bliss .

so all in all , doing pretty well and feeing well apart from number 2 issue :

2. I still have a taste for whiskey . Cant face wine . No problem drinking whiskey neat and this is my final hurdle. I want to feel towards whiskey the way i feel about wine . I want it gone out of my life . Yet i find my self having one or two doubles most nights , or at least one small drink . I m coming round to taking selincro again just to get off the spirit but also dreading taking it again , it worries me
Has anyone experienced this with selincro or a ketogenic diet or both together ? that distaste , even aversion to wine occurs , (I also HATE beer ) but that the liking and dependence on spirits remain .

sorry for being long winded , hope all well cheers

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: selincro and spirits update ...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:29 pm 

Rosekid, sounds like there's still some synapses left in your Lizard Brain that remember and favor the whiskey. Keep on course with the Selincro (or Naltrexone if you can get it) and keep applying the mindful/conscious drinking techniques.

I'm going to point you to one of Joanna's posts, have a look at it and see if there's anything that you can adopt:

http://optionssavelives.freeforums.net/ ... ut?page=23

The aversion to wine might well be due to erasure (via TSM) of the fond memories you have of it. One of the things that I noticed about beer was that despite the fact that it was my favorite, part way through TSM my memories of it turned back to when I was a kid. I thought it was acrid and nasty smelling and I couldn't understand why the adults liked it.

Congratulations on your progress so far, Rosekid! It sounds like you're living a lot healthier life than when you started TSM!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:31 am 

Hello everyone . I m here again to update on my TSM progress . I note that i first started in Jan 2016 and stopped in Sept 2016 when I began to worry about effects Selincro might be having on my brain . including possibly numbing my 'buzz 'for other things in life , nature , exercise , books . I worried too about my anorexic/ bulimic past , which i feel was a sugar addiction which i need to manage ongoing .
At the time , I had lost my taste for wine but found myself enjoying whiskey .
I had also started a ketogenic diet , and wasnt sure whether the wine 'distaste' was due to selincro or the lack of carbs .

At this stage , a few months down the line , I m certain it was the Selincro . I stayed with keto for several months and slowly introduced more carbs but sticking to whole foods, non processed .
i drink coffee in the mornings .

My intake of whiskey increased , I had a few episodes where i drank a lot and found myself going out , buying more and also loads of chocolate and pizza , both old trigger foods .
I became horrified .
and worried

I dreaded going back on Selincro , the further away from it I got the more I seemed to remember not feeling well on it and I dreaded the side effects and numbness back

Anyway I took the plunge about a month ago and took a tab. Id had gin the night before
I was so sick , next day , I said " This is what they mean by Nalover ! Man....

But i ve continued since . I m encouraged by fact that i know it worked re the wine ,that the stuff does work , I went back and reread advice in particular from Joe Sixpack and Joanna , both on this forum and on Optionssavelives and this time i was more careful about it all , more focussed on the details of working the method well as a tool rather than a magic bullet .
Funnily enough , this approach was empowering and I am less afraid of the drug this time .
I reread Dr Escapas book also

I m still drinking and I havent yet had an AF day but this time i ve accepted that I m a slow responder but a responder , nevertheless .

Perhaps the long history of addiction since 12 yrs to sugar/ carbs means a slow recovery .

I m no longer afraid to keep going though . I do hope its quick as I d rather take nothing and have no interest in alcohol
I m trying to be much more mindful and careful re timing of pill , in my case , selincro has to be taken 2 hrs ahead .

I am afraid of life sans alcohol . Will there be nothing ?!
Cheers all .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:51 am 

Hi Rosekid, welcome back!

I wonder if Naltrexone might be worth a try instead? The side effects on that seem to be less of a problem, especially on restart.

Did you find that after you quit taking the Selincro your appreciation for other things in life recovered adequately?

Profile E-mail